Wednesday 30 July 2008

Picture Post: Gosforth part two


These bowls were not meant to be similar in shape, but it would have been nice. The one on the right was first, and was thrown more closely using Dick's instructions than the one on the left. They're both a little tall for their width, in my opinion, making them less pleasing to me as bowls... that's something I'll have to work on since most of my bowls end up being this kind of shape.

These pots *were* meant to be the same shape... something I was only partially successful at. The one on the left was thrown with Dick providing assistance, and the one on the right was when I tried to copy the first one several hours/a day later (I don't remember exactly). Thus, the one on the right is a bit smaller than the one on the left, and it also has less of the smooth curve of the original. I patently need to work on making sets of things, so that they're this amount of similar I suppose is good, as it's a good leaping off point for making sets. However, I would that they were more similar.


Plates! My favorites, ever! (sarcasm) Actually, all my plates (all three) went ok. Dick's method for pulling them out flat is somewhat different than I used to do, and despite my difficulty at the beginning with it, I think it works better. Neither of these ended up being quite the size I wanted... I always forget about the shrinkage! Or, rather, I forget quite how much there is. The one on the left I pulled up after widening it, for to make a casserole dish or some such like that. The one on the right I deliberately made with more clay so that it could be larger, and I was relatively pleased with how it ended up.


These are my raku pots. I only used three glazes: white, black, and copper. The copper makes the turquoise-y color, and white and black together make blue. Raku is delightfully unpredictable, so these did not come out quite as I imagined them. After cleaning them up a bit (they end up with quite a bit of extra carbon on) I did find shiny colors that I like... if I had these to hold, turn about, and consider, I might become fond of them. As it is I'll have to reserve judgement until August/September/whenever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

those raku pots are beautiful!