Saturday 29 September 2012

Kickstarter - and updates



My kickstarter has ended successfully, which is super exciting! I'll be trying to post updates here as well as there. The rest of this post is just me copying over updates that I posted there.




Update #1 (8/26/2012)

Hi, everyone!


I am totally bowled over by the amount of support I've gotten. Thank you all so much! I'm beginning my research into exactly what kiln I am going to want.


I wanted to let everyone know that if the pledge amount goes over, that will still end up going towards the glazes, clay, and wedging table - with shipping (and kickstarter fees taken out) I don't anticipate much left over after the kiln. Which is fine, and was my original plan - but if there's a little extra, that means more variety of glazes available from the start, which means you have more options for when I'm making your piece!


Thanks again for all your support, and I can't wait to start making your pieces as soon as I can!


-Lorraine

(then I posted some pictures)


Update #2 (9/15/2012)

Hi, everyone!


I am so excited about how much you've all been helping me out, bit by bit. I reached my goal some time ago, but people have still been helping, and each contribution is still very important.


One important update: I have a kiln! I found one used on craigslist, and it is exactly what I was looking for.


Unfortunately, I don't yet know if it works (I have high hopes, because it is in fantastic condition) because I cannot plug it in anywhere. The space where I am keeping it, where I may be able to keep it permanently, is not wired for a kiln.


I am talking to an electrician, as well as the landlord, trying to find a solution, but it is very possible it will be at least several hundred dollars to wire it safely so that it works. It may be more than that. We're still figuring that out.


This is the last push! I can't fire my pottery until my kiln is hooked up, and I really want to start making all the things I'm going to be sending you. I am deeply grateful for all the support you've already shown me, and I hope to send an update soon saying it's all been accomplished.


If you have a desire to help more, you can give me a signal boost - post about my kickstarter on a social media site of your choice, or shoot an email to arts appreciators you know, and I will happily make pottery for them as well! Donations can be made until around 8:30pm on Saturday, September 22nd.


Thank you all!


Now I'm going to go play with clay.


P.S. I've added two new reward categories: $16 for a beer stein (really, really big mug that'll fit an entire bottle of beer or soda or other beverage) and a one-time-only reward for a contribution fo $350 - I have a tabletop wheel that I no longer need (I got it before realizing it wasn't quite right for me but it totally works and is pretty heavy-duty). Know anyone who wants to try making pottery but doesn't have space for a big wheel? This could be perfect for them!


Update #3 (9/23/2012)

Thanks, everyone!


You have all helped a great deal - I am excited to send you your pieces as soon as I can!


Here is where I currently stand:


I have a kiln but not a space where I can plug it in. I am going to see if there's anyone nearby who has a space where I can keep it and run it, and I am planning to use funds from kickstarter money to help move the kiln again and pay for electricity/rent wherever it ends up.


I am going to order clay and glazes as soon as the money comes though Amazon in 14 days; in the meantime, I'm using the small amount of clay I have left to start making your pieces.


I am going to begin sending out surveys to ask you for details, such as what kind of piece(s) you want within the category you've chosen, or where to ship them if they need to be shipped, or what colors of glaze you're interested in.


I look forward to the next couple of weeks as I get underway, and thanks again for all your support! I'll let you know when the kiln location issue is resolved.


-Lorraine


So I am still looking for a space to keep and plug my kiln in. Know anyone in the Ball Square area who wouldn't mind having an electric kiln in their basement?

No comments: